25 Mar 2016

Teenage Tries to Commit Suicide after Losing N6,000, Phone to ‘Area Boys’

Operatives of the Rapid Response Squad of the Lagos State Police Command, on Thursday, saved a 17-year-old boy, Lanre, who attempted to jump from the 3rd Mainland Bridge into the Lagos Lagoon after losing N6,000 and a phone to ‘Area Boys’.

‪According to a RRS rider on regular patrol of the bridge, a roving mechanic drew their attention to a lone teenager, standing on the bridge and looking into the lagoon curiously. On getting to the scene, he was standing on the crash barrier, ready to jump into lagoon before he was grabbed by the legs by the RRS officials and taken to their headquarters for counselling and further investigations.

‪Lanre, after receiving counselling from the Commander, RRS, Assistant Commissioner of Police, ACP Olatunji Disu, disclosed that he decided to jump into the lagoon after losing N6, 000 and a mobile phone to ‘Area Boys’ in Lagos Island.

‪He explained that his mother had given him N6, 000 at about 4:00 p.m. to get food stuff at Ita Faaji Market, when some miscreants collected his phone and the money from him.

“I felt depressed after losing the N6, 000 and phone to the five boys who waylaid me on my way to the market. I couldn’t summon the courage to go back home to confront my mum that I lost the money she gave me to purchase food stuff at Ita Faaji. I don’t know those guys and I have never seen them before”, he stated.

His mother (name withheld), who is in her mid-50’s said that she had been looking for him for couple of hours after sending him on errand. “I have searched everywhere, his friends’ and the entire neighbourhood. I was shocked to learn that he has attempted suicide by jumping into the Lagoon. He has just finished his secondary school. He went to Lagos City College. I don’t know why he wanted to commit suicide”.

“He is a sickler but he has never been admitted in a hospital before. He is healthy. If I didn’t tell you, you won’t know. He is athletic and doing just fine. His father has travelled overseas and re-married. We are doing fine and okay with our lives.

“If he had returned home to tell me what happened, the worst I could have done was to slap him and threatened him to return my money for me. I know I have been an exceptional mother to the four of them. I have never allowed them to miss their father and they are doing quite well in their studies”, she added.

According to P.M.NEWS: The boy was subsequently released to his mother at the RRS Headquarters in Alausa. They are to report back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are the thoughts and uninfluenced opinions of blog readers. And any content appearing under ‘Gossips’ section is purely gossip and Alabamauncut.com does not comply with the same.